Friday, May 16, 2008

The Death of my Budget

Well at least for this week. Next week is another chance to try to succeed in my grocery challenge of spending less than $100 a week. I know so many of you are doing so much better on $40 a week or even less, but for me, baby steps.

This week Ralphs and Stater Bros broke my budget over the course of 2 days. Right now milk is 3.99 a gallon for the cheapest stuff you can find. They have 2/$5.79 deals but you have to buy 2 of the same kind, and with a toddler I am forced to buy 1 of the 1% or 2% and one of the Whole milk, both at full price. As milk is something my family goes through rapidly, you can imagine how overjoyed I was when Ralphs came out with their 2/$3 half gallon sale. All milk types, NO LIMIT! I bought 4 half gallons of 1% and since they were out of the Whole milk, I got a rain check to use later, with again NO LIMIT! Then I went and bought some VitaminWater 10/$10, and cherries 41.99/lb. Then I went to Stater Bros and bought 2 Pepsi/Diet Pepsi cubes for 7.99 after a $2 instore coupon and 12 packages of Oscar Mayer Weiners for .99 each!

The deals were so good that my husband and I decided it was worth it to go back, so I did. The next day I went back to Stater Bros and bought 8 more hot dogs, 2 hot dog buns at $1.49 and 2 loaves of bread at $1.29 each, then back to Ralphs. At Ralphs I did my best to get the Huggies deal listed here bought 4 more 1% half gallons and (since they had restocked) I bought 4 Whole half gallons of milk, and I still have that rain check for when the sales end! I also bought 20 more of the VitaminWaters, mostly the Revive flavor because as I have spent every day for the past month falling asleep all day long, I tried it and spent the ENTIRE day not falling asleep ONCE!

Add to that the CVS 2 Hawaiian Tropic = $10 ECB bucks. After wandering each and every isle I was finally able to find a cashier that had the only two chap sticks in the store, allowing me to get the 2 items at $1.99 each giving me $5.71 profit. I also took advantage of the Target Glade Flameless candle deal here. All in all I am hoping that my stocking up over the last few weeks will make up the difference for next week's budget, but for now I am really getting back to having a fully stocked house.

3 comments:

sweettooth said...

How interesting! I'm a grocery fanatic - I love going to the store but can't always control my spending. Love your blog - really cool stuff. The death of my budget always happens in Target... sigh... :)

Johnny said...

You still might be able to save your budget for the month. I am not sure how much over you are, but maybe spend less this week. I have found one week I may do really good and then along comes a great sale and it seems I have ruined my budget, but on the average it may work out okay.
Also, you must eat a lot of Hot Dogs! LOL!!!

Sarina said...

Nah, my husband suggested that we stock up and freeze em. Thanks for the confidence in my ability to reign in my budget this week.. That's why they calling it balancing right?