Monday, August 18, 2008

Gulliver's Travels...the grocery edition

Is it just me or have you started feeling like a giant in the world of shrinking groceries these days?

First it was the ice cream (or at least that’s what I noticed first). MNTK brought that to our attention as she asked the question, why does nobody think we will notice when a quart of dryers ice cream shrinks but the price does not?

Then it was the actual number of diapers in an individual diaper package that Baby Cheapskate has been kind enough to track for us. At least Huggies and Pampers have been honest enough to tell us they are going to affect the price per diaper bottom line.

Now they are messing with my orange juice! That’s going to far! I walked into a Target today and discovered that my much loved Tropicana Orange Juice (which has always been a guilty pleasure in the world of frugal living due to it’s price) has adopted a new prettier and yes smaller size for, what I can tell, is just the same price as it’s previously larger sized bottle. Yes, my friends the 96oz bottle of orange juice appears to have gone the way of the dodo only to be replaced by a similarly priced 89 oz bottle, with, lest we forget, a New easy pour spout! Well maybe not the dodo, but it’s definitely an endangered species at this point. I was able to find the giant 128 oz bottle at WalMart, but still no sign of the 96 oz in now, two stores!

I can understand one company trying to put one over on us, and prices do rise at times and the diaper industry has at least warned us ahead of time (though I’m sure their public warning was missed by most of their regular customers), but now this seems to becoming a trend, one that I, for one do not appreciate! What’s next? What will be the next item to feel the manufacturer’s shrink-ray?

What about you? What other mini sized, regular priced items have you noticed?

1 comment:

SA said...

They've done it to yogurt as well I've noticed. Plus since the prices of these items arent changing, they dont changed the cost labels on the shelves, thus the cost per ounce on some of these items are now completely wrong. I love how they think we, the consumers, are just so dumb that we wouldn't notice items shrinking in size...surely were all just growing larger!...LOL

Susan
http://frugalfloridian.blogspot.com