Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Summer Marathon Savings (what I have learned)

Well I got inspired by the Safeway (or in my case Vons and Pavilions) Summer Savings Marathon (thanks MMM) and I decided to give it a shot. I spent a ton of time researching products and matching up coupons, made my list and headed off to the store with all three kids in tow.



In my first trip I bought:

  • 2 4 pks of Tava Sparkling Beverage
  • 2 bags of Chex Mix (dark chocolate and turtle)
  • 2 Boxes of Cheez-Its
  • 2 Boxes Jolly Time Popcorn (100 calorie and Kettle corn)
  • 4 Planters Peanuts used 4 $3/1 coupons
  • 12 Kool-Aid packets .25 each
  • 1 box Kelloggs Poptarts and 3 boxes Frosted Mini Wheats
  • 2 6pk 20 oz bottles of Diet Coke
  • 1 Viva Paper Towels and 1 Cottenelle Toilet Paper
  • 4 Kleenex Tissues
  • 1 Chinet Plates
  • 1 Chinet Bowls
Total before coupons:$74.93
after coupons 42.42
I received a $10 savings award.

Here is what I learned on this trip:

Check, check, double and TRIPLE check! Apparently making a detailed list and matching coupons and repeatedly counting the items in my cart wasn't enough. After checking out I only got $10. I assumed the error was on their end, because this particular Vons was woefully unprepared for this promotion. I had to ask no less than 3 separate people where the summer savings brochure/coupon booklet was. Ultimately I had to show them the picture in their weekly flyer and even then there was only one available. No one was aware of any master list and my poor checker was eventually asked to go down the isles matching each item n the list. The first item? Tava, which I know from my fellow bloggers is on the list. So that was the end of that, if I couldn't convince them that items I knew were on the list were there, nor could I even convince them there was a list, it was time to go home. I was frustrated, but still polite and once they tried to remove an item I knew was valid, I told her nicely that I would take it up with corporate and would no longer take up any of her time. I went home and called 1877-SAFEWAY, can you believe they didn't have a master list either? They told me that the computer handles it all automatically and the stores have no list or need for a list (and yet somehow items get left off) but they told me they would check in on it and get back to me. Meanwhile I rechecked again all my items off the master list and found that yes, every one f them matched. The corporate office called back with a number to talk to about the savings marathon (which I now pass onto you all), I thanked them and while I prepared to call that number I confirmed fully that I had purchased the required items and required number of items. And it was during this last count of the items spread out neatly to photograph for the blog, that I had the disheartening realization that while every item was on the list, I was in fact missing one of them. I have no idea how I managed to lose track but in the end it was a $10 mistake. Live and learn.

For those who are interested in the contact information I have it below. I'm sure we will all be running into further issues with this marathon, I had yet another issue the next trip I made to a Pavilions this time, I joked to my husband that the reason it's called a marathon is because by the time you finally GET the coupon and get out of the store you feel like you ran a marathon! Here is the #1-888-826-8766

No comments: